We're sorry, but this activity is over. The last meeting was Saturday, October 7, 2023.
Learn how a radio control (RC) sailboat works and how to sail one from the Triangle Model Yacht Club. The class will include on-shore instruction and hands-on sailing of RC sailboats, which are remote controlled three-foot-long models of full-size sailboats. If you know how to sail, you’ll have a head start, but no prior knowledge is required except a desire to learn. Instruction will be tailored to the skill level of the students. There is no cost, and all equipment is supplied. Mature sailors and retirees are especially welcome! Most RC sailors are adults. Class size is limited, so register today to reserve your spot. The public is also invited to arrive early to watch the club racing throughout the morning!
Click HERE to see a few photos of RC sailboats in action on the Triangle Model Yacht Club website!
A few reasons why someone might enjoy radio control sailing:
- Competitive but social outdoor activity
- Anyone can do it – age or athletic ability not a factor
- Equipment is affordable
- Educational (building boats, how sails and radio gear work, weather)
- Mentally challenging (technical skill, racing strategy, tactics and techniques)
- Environmentally friendly – low impact
- Aesthetically pleasing for spectators as well as participants
- Quiet – no noise
- Minimal facilities or maintenance required
Participants will meet near the boat ramp at the end of the main park road. You will see the RC sailboats in the water to the left of the ramp. Continue straight past the boat ramp to park in the gravel lot, or turn left at the boat ramp to park in the paved lot on the hill. All attendees must be registered. Participants should bring water and hats/sunscreen.
Near Boat Launch Ramp