Without the Head
1. After you scale the fish, cut the head off. Then, remove the gills, stick a knife into the center of the throat and cut the belly open.
2. Take out the guts.
3. Wash it, dry it and chill on ice until it's time to cook.
Fillet Your Fish
1. After you scale your fish, grab it from the tail and lay it down flat.
2. Cut into the fish until you feel the bone.
3. Turn the knife so it's parallel to the fish, and with a sawing motion, cut it flat until you near the head.
4. Stop at the gills and make the cut.
5. Turn the fish over and do the same thing to the other side. You'll have two flat fillets with the skin on one side. You can do this one more time to cut the skin off, but remember that the skin keeps the fillet from falling apart once you start cooking it.
Learning how to clean a fish is critical to cooking it the way you want. Take these cleaning tips with you before you throw your first fish on the grill.
More: 5 Simple Fish Recipes
Find a Campground at ReserveAmerica.com.