If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you must be a card-carrying member of the bizarro world we call triathlon. And as such, there are a few pet peeves that only we can understand—so sit back and enjoy.
You've earned it.
1. Open water swim practice.1 of 26
Sure, I love practicing the feeling of constant drowning.
2. Peeling off your wetsuit.2 of 26
Especially when you forget you're wearing a watch.
3. Peeing in your wetsuit.3 of 26
Apologies in advance, wetsuit stripper.
4. Roadies who think you don't know how to handle your bike.4 of 26
Even worse? Other triathletes who actually DON'T know how to handle their bike.
5. Getting a cold right before a race.5 of 26
At least the snot rockets will come easy...
6. When a non-triathlete says, "I could never do that."6 of 26
Yes, yes you can.
7. When someone drops their water bottle right in front of you.7 of 26
No that's OK. This was getting too easy. I wanted an extra challenge.
8. Forgetting to start your Garmin.8 of 26
If there's no record, did it really happen?
9. When you're trying to pass someone who just won't get over.9 of 26
I said, "ON YOUR LEFT!"
10. DRAFTERS.10 of 26
Wheel suckers... You might be the reason we pee on the bike.
11. Newbies who get to transition late and knock around your perfectly-positioned gear.11 of 26
Apparently I spent 15 minutes setting up and rearranging my station for fun.
12. The hoarders who take up two transition spaces.12 of 26
No, you don't need that much stuff. Promise.
13. Crosswinds.13 of 26
Those $2,000 disc wheels seemed like such a good idea at the time...
14. Headwinds.14 of 26
Everyone wants to look like a model walking in the breeze—just not when you're trying to finish a grueling ride.
15. Bowels, bowels, bowels.15 of 26
Yeah, we went there.
16. Chafing.16 of 26
Literally. The. Worst.
17. Leaky goggles.17 of 26
Mayday mayday, we've sprung a leak!
18. Working hours upon hours to improve your swim, only for it to be canceled.18 of 26
If I wanted to do a duathlon, I would have signed up for one!
19. Setting the alarm for 4 a.m.19 of 26
It'll never get easier.
20. No matter how hard you try, you can't get a good finisher pic.20 of 26
Oh sure, you just HAD to sprint into the frame. #photobomb
21. When the buoy line is set due east.21 of 26
22. Being in the flight path of another athlete's snot rocket.22 of 26
23. Getting elbowed in the face during a mass swim start.23 of 26
The ocean's not big enough for the both of us.
24. Accidentally dropping that food you'd been thinking about since T1.24 of 26
25. Bonking despite a perfectly planned fueling strategy.25 of 26
WHY GOD WHY?!