Singapore's own MTB enduro community event. Also known as "The World's Flattest Enduro".
Event details and scheduleIMPORTANT INFO FOR SINGAPORE OPEN ENDURO 2023
21 (Saturday) – 22 (Sunday), October 2023
This will be a 2-day enduro event, where descents are timed and climbs/flat sections are untimed. It consists of 1 prologue stage – contested on Saturday; and 5 race stages – contested on Sunday. Timings for all contested stages will be added together over the course of the two days to get your overall result. This is NOT a cross-country race, but past riders regard this as an event that can be raced on cross-country/down-country, short travel mountain bikes.
The 2023 edition will take place on trails located in Kent Ridge Park (prologue stage) and Bukit Timah Nature Reserve/Chestnut Nature Park (all other race stages). Both the prologue day route and the race day route shall be published on Trailforks at least 2 weeks before the event weekend. The GPS data for the Prologue Day Route and Race Day Route is free to access (they will be published about 2 weeks before the event weekend). It can be uploaded to selected GPS devices and companion mobile apps, and can be referred to during practice and racing by riders.
Assembly and Start/Finish Locations:
21 October (Saturday):
- The transfer to/from, practice, and timed run for the Prologue Stage will be held from a location in Pasir Panjang. Open practice for the 5 race stages is available thereafter on the same day at Bukit Timah and Chestnut.
- The Prologue Stage will be the only timed run conducted on this day, and is situated at Kent Ridge Park, on the mountain bike trail. You are advised to condition yourself with the riding skills and fitness required to deal with the terrain and trail features there, including during official practice session(s), or when the full course is officially published (two weeks prior to event weekend).
22 October (Sunday):
- The transfer to/from and timed runs for the 5 race stages (Bukit Timah and Chestnut) will be start from a location in Bukit Timah, and end at another location (also in Bukit Timah).
- There will be five (5) timed runs on this day, desginated Race Stages 1 through 5. Each Rider will get to have 1 attempt at each run only, in sequential order. These will be located at Bukit Timah Nature Reserve and Chestnut Nature Park, on the mountain bike trails there. You are advised to condition yourself with the riding skills and fitness required to deal with the terrain and trail features there, including during official practice session(s), or when the full course is officially published (two weeks prior to event weekend).
Racers are advised to observe parking regulations if driving to the venues, OR to ride there on their bikes. During the Event (where Riders are issued with timing chips), strictly no vehicular transfer or motorized assistance/uplift will be allowed.
Skill Level & Experience:
Racers need to be fit to ride up to 3.5 hours – for distances exceeding 15km and elevation gain/loss of over 200m – per day. The ability to ride all double-black rated technical trail features in Singapore is highly recommended. Rocky, high-speed, and pedal-ly singletrack… as well as rooty, muddy, tight, and steep sections (plus everything in-between) will be part of the race route. SOE is considered an entry-level MTB enduro, and is suitable for first-timers to the enduro format of MTB racing.
Please contact us if you require MTB Skills classes or would like to know more about course familiarisation rides that will be conducted within the two weeks prior to the Event weekend.
Technical Support / Food and Drink:
Snacks, water, and sports drinks will be made available at the staging area for the Prologue Day. No such food and drink will be available at the staging area for Race Day. No mid-course food/drink station per se will be available. Neutral technical support (mechanics, MTB spares, repair services) will be available at the staging area of the Prologue Day as well as mid-course on Race Day.
Brunch/lunch will be available at the staging areas for both Prologue Day (start & finish, Blue Balls Bike Cafe @ 44 P. Panjang Road) and Race Day (finish, Blue Cafe @ 78 Rifle Range Road).
Dinner will be a available at the awards venue (also Blue Balls Bike Cafe at 44 P. Panjang Road). Vouchers available to purchase at $20 each, to a maximum of 8 vouchers per Rider (for themselves as well as family/firneds/supporters).
We are using the Sportident Timing System to manage our race results. This is the same highly-accurate, contactless timing system that is also being deployed at Enduro World Cup events, Trans Enduro (BC, NZ, Tasmania) events, and Trans Savoie / Trans Provence events, and provides instant results!
A SGD$50 cash deposit is required during the issue of timing chips, with each Rider being issued one (1) timing chip for thier timed run attempt(s) on both days of the Event. The timing chip is to be returned for results upload and refurbishment at the finiish of each day (at the staging area / finish). The deposit will be forfeited in the event of damage, destruction, or loss of the timing chip.
Sanctioning and National Series Points:
Singapore Open Enduro 2023 is a Singapore Cycling Federation (SCF) sanctioned event. It is classified as a SCF Class 3.1 Mountain Bike (MTB) Enduro (END) event, and racers entered in the event are eligible to receive points for the 2023 OCBC Points Series (MTB – Gravity Series) based on Event overall ranking (1st-10th place), as well as each Timed Stage (Prologue Stage as well as all Race Stages, 1st-5th place).
In the lead-up to the event dates and on the event dates themselves, if:
- participant numbers are insufficient
- permissions/approvals for trails or public access are rescinded
- a major public emergency / incident befalls part of the event route
- prolonged, major, inclement weather that is dangerous to persons on the course
the Event organisers reserve the right to cancel the Event with due notice to all participants as they deem necessary. Full refunds will be made to all riders who have entered in the event.
EVENT DIRECTOR: WILSON LOW