This activity is closed to further registration.
This is a blended learning course that combines online learning with in-person skills. You must attend every class and pass all skills and written tests to receive Red Cross Certification. Participants must have no COVID symptoms on in-person class days . Social distancing will not be maintained during the lifesaving skill portions of the class. Participants will be paired up at the beginning of class and will keep their same partner throughout the duration of the class. Masks will be required unless in the water.
Receive classroom learning and hands-on practice as you train to become a lifeguard. Course elements include water and land rescue skills, first aid for injuries and sudden illnesses, spinal injury management, swimmer and facility surveillance and CPR/AED and emergency care. This course includes a certification in American Red Cross Lifeguarding, which is valid for 2 years. Participants must attend all listed course dates in order to receive certification.
A number of prerequisites must be completed/met before attending the course:
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits or above the head.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute and 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
NBRC: Lap Lane 8 at North Boulder Recreation Center
NBRC: Lap Lane 7 at North Boulder Recreation Center